The Good Shepherd Presbyterian Church, a congregation of 115 members, celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2017. Located on the corner of Melody and Kennedy Drives in Northglenn, Good Shepherd is actively involved in the local community –serving those with food insecurity through the Food Bank, partnering with the schools on the Vantage Point Campus, and welcoming all to worship on Sunday mornings. Music is an integral and vital part of the worship life at Good Shepherd.
In the sanctuary is a Yamaha Baby Grand Piano, a 2-rank Allen electronic organ, and Yamaha Clavinova. The 12-15 voice choir offers special music most Sunday’s from September through May, and at special services throughout the year. A hand bell choir, with volunteer director, plays 3-4 times a year.
What You Will Do in this Position
- Build a lively, diverse, and innovative ministry that engages, refreshes, and deepens our congregation’s relationship with our music.
- Place emphasis on teaching at Good Shepherd, from varied musical styles to new hymns to understanding the role of music in the spiritual journey. Work with the choir to build an eclectic repertoire and maintain its excellence.
- Lead all aspects of our music ministry, working with the pastor, staff, and volunteer leaders to plan Sunday, holiday, and special services.
- Lead the congregation in singing through accompaniment on one of the sanctuary instruments.
- Play a central role in church leadership by developing a music program that forwards Good Shepherd’s mission, community involvement, and strategies for growth.
What You Will Bring to Good Shepherd
- Skills in cooperative,imaginative leadership that knit together our community of faith and the larger community.
- Talent and experience leading musical groups, with an emphasis on conducting skills and congregational accompaniment.
- An embrace of music styles to match the diversity of our congregation and community.
- Knowledge of sacred music and liturgical seasons.
- A talent for developing the musical gifts of our congregation, along with the teaching, inspirational, and organizational skills required to make the most of those talents.
What you should know about applying
- The director of music position is currently a 10 hour/week role. Compensation begins at $12,000 per year and is commensurate with experience.
- The director of music will report to the Pastor and Head of Staff, Rev. Bill Davis, who is leading the search for this post in conjunction with our Personnel Committee and Session (church council).
- The role calls for flexibility to adapt to the weekly church routines, with a schedule that can be structured to adapt to other part-time work.(We do not expect this to be the only job a successful candidate has.)
- Your application should include a cover letter, resume, and references. Feel free to submit any supportive materials you’d like, as video and audio samples will be expected in later stages of the search process.
- Applications should be submitted in digital form to email@example.com.
Applications will be received until the position has been filled, with the expectation to have a candidate in place before September 15th.
Click here for printable job description.